Saturday, January 3, 2009

Day 1 of chemo is done...

Me & the kids before leaving for chemo!

As most of you know, yesterday was my first day of chemo. First, I was scheduled to get a PICC line. For those of you who don't know, that is an IV that's inserted into my arm and then they thread the catheter up thru a big vein to get closer to the heart. Chemo is pretty toxic to your veins, so you want a good line. The procedure is supposed to take about 40 minutes, well 2 plus hours later, I had my PICC. Many attempts and finally changing arms all together were required. Apparently my veins decided they didn't want this foreign object in them & just clamped down everytime they tried. Fortunately, I had a persisstant RN & he finally got it. I spent all that time laying on an xray table wondering if it was going to work! I was already an hour late for my Dr and chemo appointments.

They were very excited to see me when we finally arrived for chemo. I had been pretty stressed about getting started, but by that point, I was so relieved at getting a line, the stress was gone. The beginning is quite an over-load of information, I thought I was pretty organized & then they dump all kinds of other stuff in your lap.

The biggest thing we learned is that they rate my chemo regime a 4 out 4 on the nausea scale. I'm thinking that's not good. They do however load you up with some pretty strong anti-nausea meds. So far so good! Actually getting the chemo is pretty uneventful. The first day is time consuming, as we had to wait for drugs and I had to have one test dose and then wait an hour to get started after that.

I felt pretty good when we left. I had a bag full of drugs and papers and a mile long list of appointments for the next month. Apparently there are lots of thing to do in between my chemo days! Fortunately some of them can be done over here at the Virginia Mason clinic.

We had a quick dinner with friends when we picked up our kids. It was a great dinner. Thanks Jags! Also a big thanks to Loverichs for taking care of the dogs!

I thought I'd spend some time with the kids when we got home, but I could hardly keep my eyes open! I went to bed at 7:30 and got up at 6:30am. Guess some of the anti- nausea meds really do cause drowsiness. So far this morning I feel great. I realize that may change, but I plan on getting some things done while I can.

Thanks for all of your comments, emails and phone calls. It is a huge help!!!! It means a lot to talk to all of you. It may take me a while to respond to emails, but I will. Thanks for the encouragement. I know lots of you want to help as well and belive me it will be needed.

8 comments:

Kristin said...

I am glad to hear that you are still feeling okay today and you got a good nights sleep. I love the picture of the three of you that you posted-very sweet!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a day you had! Hopefully the next chemo appointment will be a little smoother. I'm glad you're feeling okay. Call if you need anything.
Laura

Anonymous said...

Good job, on your 1st day, love the pic of you and the kids. our thoughts are with you here in the frozen north land. Remember there is some Jensen you, and like I keep telling A.J. we wobble but we don't fall down! be strong.
Gary & Arlette

Anonymous said...

Tracie, you have a beautiful family....AND you're all smart, fun, positive and bring true joy to the lives of others around you. Our prayers are that God will wrap his healing arms around your family and your great medical team. Gordy and Bev

Anonymous said...

Tracie,

looking forward to seeing you soon--my hand is out, and Terry if there is anything you think we can help with--let us know.

xo Annette

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracie,
I am reading your blog for the first time trying to catch up. You have been in my thoughts and prayers since I first heard of your diagnosis.As you probably know by now, there is lots of support to be found by your colleagues at Children's, please don't hesitate to ask for anything.
Stay strong, Stacey

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you. Hoping you are still feeling good! Heidi

Unknown said...

Hey Tracie,
Glad the first day went well. Sorry about the PICC line. That is no fun. I am sure experiencing all of this from the patient-side of things is a whole new perspective. Keep up with the anti-nausea meds--they are a life-saver. I had a patient recently who was on zofran, reglan, phenergan and meclizine...so don't be shy about taking them when you need them. Thinking about you lots....I am on in-patient medicine this month, which means long hours, but I will be thinking about you!

You can do this!!!

Kim