Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What, no coffee?


Yesterday was a very interesting day for me. It started early, as they all seem to now. I had my first visit to the acupuncturist! I had decided over the weekend that maybe it would be a good idea to help relieve some of the chemo side effects. After filling out a VERY long questionaire that made me feel like I was pretty unhealthy, even without cancer, I went in for my evaluation. No needles yet! This part was fine until we got to the part about how much coffee I drink. I think she was shocked and I had lied just a little. Up to this point I thought most of her suggestions sounded pretty good. She asked if I could give up the coffee. I'm sure you can all imagine what went through my head!!!

So here I sit updating my blog, at 5:30am, drinking tea! I decided yesterday that it probably was a good I idea. Cleaned out my coffee pot and put it away! I'm not going cold turkey! I think a single cup from my french press will be ok for a few days. I found some good tea. I'm open to suggestions. The nice part is that I don't have to give up the caffeine.

Despite all of this, I'm really excited to try acupuncture.

The best part of my day was getting my hair cut. I was excited and a little bit nervous. I've never had really short hair. Fortunately I had two great friends along for support, pictures and wine later! Thanks Johnene & Kristin! I was in good hands. Susie is awesome! It's weird not having any hair but I love it. She did a great job.

Today, I'm looking forward to going to work. I miss my coworkers and work so much. I'm actually excited about going to a training class! It's been tough dealing with not going to work, especially when I feel good. Thanks for all of your comments and emails.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all these changes...you may very well be a dayshifter by the time this is done! I seriously hope you stay on nights...we all miss you so much! I will break the news to Sara that we will have to drink an extra coffee for you on our 6am coffee breaks!

Alayne

Anonymous said...

I had an extra coffee today in your honor, Mikey loved it! Republic of Tea - Blackberry Sage.

Unknown said...

I have switched to tea for the most part this year. I started drinking tea when I lived in Australia many moons ago. It isn't so heavy in the morning (easier on my stomach). I still occasionally drink coffee, but find I prefer tea a lot of time. I think it is better for me because I don't put cream and sugar in it like I do with coffee. You can put milk in your tea, which is pretty yummy. That is how they do it in Australia and England. I am pretty much a english breakfast girl (Irish breakfast too), Darjeeling is good. I personally don't like Earl Grey, but a lot of people do. It tastes like perfume to me.

So, that is my 2 cents worth. As I said yesterday...love the hair!!

Kim

Kristin said...

You look beautiful and we all love the haircut! Has anyone ever told you that you look like Sharon Stone?
My favorite tea is the Aveda salon that you can pick up at most of their stores. It is loose tea.

Anonymous said...

Tracie,
You look great with short hair! Makes me want to cut my over processed locks....Sue

Anonymous said...

Tracie, your hair looks awesome!!! We all miss you at work and can't wait to see you soon. I'm glad that you're feeling good-I think you'll love the acupuncture ! Know that I think of you often.

Robin

Unknown said...

Love the haircut, you look great!!! I know you haven't heard from for over 10 yrs, but I am praying and thinking about you every day. I just want to say "Hi" and let you know I am thinking about you. I love you have a blog...I access it every couple days to see what you have written and enjoy your updates. NO COFFEE!!! LOL!! You will do fine, I don't even drink coffee, so I know you will do fine without it. I want you to know I have been actively involved with the "The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team In Training® (TNT)" over the last several years to raise awareness and money for a cure. I even walked a marathon (26.2 miles) for the cause. I hope you can bring awareness to others and help them understand these diseases and help them get through it after you have beat it. Keep up the fight!! I will continue to think of you and reading your blog.

colleen J said...

Hi Tracie,
I am following along with your blog and am so glad to see you have your "game on" and seem to be an all-star by all measures in this challenge! I know others have also said this, but truly -- you look absolutely fabulous. As Ellen commented - like a model, very definitely. As a long-time tea enthusiast, I want to recommend an awesome tea to you -- Good Earth sweet 'n spicy - comes in regular or decaf and offers a nice cinnamon flavor that might make the "comedown" from fancy coffee concotions more bearable! Available in various grocery stores. Your blog is really well-written and a site I will continue to visit often. Please know you are in my daily prayers and thoughts! Colleen Conley Johnson

Angela said...

LOVE IT! You look great with short hair! I've been thinking of you this week, wondering how your two big appointments went on Tuesday...How is it going without the coffee? Good luck tomorrow...will be thinking about you while flying! Sending lots of love and prayers your way. Angela

Anonymous said...

It was nice to see you yesterday and give you a hug. Work misses you too. I think day shift is for you after all! We could take a 6PM TEA break. okay, so my recommendation is oolong tea. It's yummy and suppose to be good for your metabolism, digestive system and overall your body and soul. You look really good. Keep up the good work. Heidi

Anonymous said...

Tracie - If you come down to Portland, I'll take you to the Tao of Tea - they have a 12 page tea menu from all over the world. If not, I LOVE the Market Spice tea from Pike Place!

And the hair looks awesome, too! - Molly

colleen J said...

Important new discovery! I just visited Starbucks tonight and learned they have a new expanded line of "Tea Lattes" to include a Vanilla Rooibus variety. So it's tea with milk and a little sugar. The "barista" went out of her way to recommend the Vanilla Rooibus to me, and happened to mention she has converted multiple coffee purists who now get this tea drink for their pick-me-up instead of coffee. I tried it and can now say Vanilla Rooibus Tea Latte = awesome! Thought you might need to know : )

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracie!

Its Kelly, John's girlfriend...Amy gave me your blog website and I came by to check it out! Your hair looks great and I'm glad you are feeling good...had a great time chatting with you and Terry on Christmas Eve. Tell your family John and I said hello and I look forward to more updates!